Sandhya Rege Nadkarni
INDIA New England Columnist
Perfect for a summer party! These healthy, gluten free, easy breezy, cool summer rolls are packed with delicious fusion flavors.
Just like my group of friends from various cultural backgrounds, these cool summer rolls represent a happy mingling of flavors from different cultures. I am sure you will enjoy making, serving and eating these cool summer rolls with the delectable peanutty dipping sauce too.
- 2 tablespoons store bought, green coriander mint chutney (of a thick consistency)
- 1 cup poached/ cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup rice vermicelli, cooked/prepared according to package directions and drained
- ½ mango, peeled and cut in 1 inch strips
- 1 scallion, cut in 1 inch strips
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- Few cilantro leaves
- 8 (8 inch) rice paper wrappers
- Bowl of warm water ( to dip wrappers in)
For the peanutty dipping sauce-
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
Store bought sweet chili sauce to serve
To make the Chicken Mango Summer Rolls-
- In a bowl, add the mint cilantro chutney to the shredded chicken. Toss well to coat the chicken. Set aside.
- Have the other filling ingredients- vermicelli, mango, scallion, spinach leaves, carrots and cilantro leaves close and ready to go (as shown in picture).
- Taking one rice paper wrapper at a time, dip both sides in the warm water only for a few seconds and remove to a flat surface. You should still be able to see the design on the rice paper (as shown in picture).
- Add the filling ingredients about 1/3 way up from the bottom half of the wrapper, fold bottom edge of wrapper over it. Then fold the sides in and roll (as shown in picture).
- Repeat with other wrappers and filling.
- Refrigerate the Chicken Mango Summer Rolls.
- Meanwhile, make the peanutty dipping sauce. To the peanut butter, add the hot water and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine.
- Serve the refrigerated Chicken Mango Summer Rolls with the peanutty dipping sauce a sweet chili sauce of your choice.
Enjoy the cool summer evenings!
About Sandhya Rege Nadkarni
Nadkarni is a food—in fact, fusion food—aficionado. She writes a blog, featuring Indian and Indian fusion recipes that are delicious, easy to follow and creative. She will be writing exactly the same for our readers. She is the creator and publisher of Indfused (http://indfused.com ) an award winning blog dedicated to Indian and innovative Indian fusion recipes. An architect by education, her other creative talents and interests include interior design, kitchen design, arts and crafts, jewelry making and fashion design.
A passionate cook and foodie, her healthy recipes also reflect her extensive interest in nutrition and Ayurveda. Her love for design and color coordination has found its way to food presentation too. She also teaches an array of cooking classes. When not blogging, she is actively involved in the community. She is a Director at the Shishu Bharati School of Indian languages and Culture where she has been volunteering for over two decades.