Mumbai– Want a quick energy boost this summer? Try food-based detox. Include watermelon, cucumbers and lemon in your diet to counter the summer heat, says an expert.
* Watermelon is the number one food for a summer detox. It is extremely alkaline-forming in the body and contains high amounts of citrulline. This helps to create arginine which removes ammonia and other toxins from the body. Also, watermelon is a good source of potassium which balances the high amounts of sodium in our diets which supports the kidneys and is great when cleansing.
* Cucumbers help flush toxins from the body. The high water content in cucumbers gets your urinary system moving. A half-cup of sliced cucumber has only eight calories.
* Your liver loves lemons: Lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons.
* Mint leaves are great for summer cooling. It helps you digest your food more effectively.
* Steaming or stir-frying the vegetables are good option as they prevent nutrients from getting lost.
* Do some gentle exercise to encourage the elimination of toxins. While detoxing, it is important to stay away from alcohol and caffeine.
* Drink warm lime water with honey every morning as this stimulates the digestive system and helps to keep constipation away.
* Drink lots of green tea which is loaded with polyphenols, which function as powerful antioxidant.
* Drink milk in measured quantities but regularly. Milk contains a big package of nutrients that is especially important for bone health, which makes your body stronger while doing away with impurities.
* Increase foods with fibre in your diet. Dietary fibre plays a role in modulating the immune system and, therefore, results in a lesser risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer and obesity. (IANS)