NRI Roundup: Suicide in Kuwait, Pharmacist jailed in UK, Indian killed in Nepal, Teen dies after brutal assault in Malaysia

- Advertisement -

Indian-origin pharmacist jailed for illegally selling prescription drugs

London– An Indian-origin pharmacist has been jailed by a court here for stealing prescription drugs worth 5,000 pounds ($6,405) and then selling them on the street.

Niren Patel, 38, of Ilford, Essex, appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court this week and pleaded guilty to two counts of fraud by abuse of a position of trust, possession with intent to supply a class B drug and five counts of possession to supply a class C drug.

The court was told that Patel, who worked at Day Lewis pharmacy in Hornchurch and Hedgemans Pharmacy in Dagenham, created fraudulent orders for prescription drugs worth 5,000 pounds, the Pharmaceutical Journal reported on Friday.

The drugs he sold included class C drugs such as Xanax, Diazepam and the hypnotic Zolpidem.

He also stole the class B drug Dexamfetamine, used for weight loss and to improve academic performance, and Genotropin, a growth hormone used by bodybuilders.

During questioning by police, Patel admitted he sold the drugs on the street.

“Patel abused his position as a pharmacist… The drugs he sold are highly addictive and dangerous when given to someone without a prescription,” Detective Constable Beverley McInerney of the Met’s Organised Crime Command said.

Indian commits suicide in Kuwait

Kuwait City– An Indian expatriate has committed suicide here by hanging himself from a heavy-duty vehicle.

A Syrian national who also works in Kuwait alerted the Interior Ministry about the incident on King Fahad Motorway, the Arab Times reported. The body has been sent for post-mortem. No further details were available.

Indian killed in Nepal bus accident

Kathmandu–An Indian man was killed and 20 others were injured in a bus accident in Nepal’s Banke district on Saturday.

Niluji Adhikary from Kolkata died on the spot after the passenger bus turned turtle at 2.20 a.m. at Dhakeri in Rapti Sunari Rural Municipality-9, the Himalayan Times reported.

Most of the passengers were Indian labourers and the bus was heading towards Surkhet from Butwal, police said.

All the injured were rushed to a hospital and one of them was said to be in critical condition. Over speeding may have been the cause of the accident, the police said.

The driver of the bus has been arrested.

Indian-origin teen dies after brutal assault in Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur–An Indian-origin teenager in Malaysia has died following a vicious assault last week in which he was beaten with helmets, burned on his back and sodomised by an object by five youths.

The 18-year-old student, T. Nhaveen, died of his injuries in a hospital in Penang’s George Town on Thursday, The Star newspaper reported.

The incident happened on June 10 when Nhaveen was buying burgers with his friend T. Previin in Taman Tun Sardon, Gelugor. Two youths known to them came and started teasing the duo. A fight broke out after insults were thrown.

Previin, 19, escaped with eye injuries while Nhaveen was hauled off to a field in Jalan Kaki Bukit where three other teenagers joined the two youths and brutalised Nhaveen with crash helmets. He was also sodomised and burnt on his back with ciagrettes.

Nhaveen suffered internal bleeding in his head and abdomen and was pronounced brain dead. The five suspects, believed to be Nhaveen’s former schoolmates, were arrested and his death was re-classified as murder, said Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar.

Nhaveen’s mother D. Shanti told the daily that her son had been bullied by one of the suspects three years ago in school for being soft.

“My son is dead. Don’t let this happen to anyone else’s child,” she said fighting her tears.

This is the second death in less than two weeks to spark outrage in Malaysia about bullying.

On June 1, Navy cadet Zulfarhan Osman Zulkarnain, 21, died after he was allegedly tortured and burned with an iron.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here