ACTON, MA– Essence of India 2018 this Saturday presents its 7th annual edition this Saturday, Aug. 18, in Acton, MA, featuring traditional classical and folk dances and music of India, Cambodia, Thailand, China, Africa, Russia, Ireland and the United States.
Essence of India 2018 is all set to take place on Sat, 8/18 at Nara park in Acton from 2.00 pm to 7.30 pm, rain or shine. It’s a free community event for all age groups.
“Our theme this year is “vasudhaive kutumbkam” meaning the whole world is one community,” organizers of the event said in a statement. “True to Its Essence and this year’s title “it’s a wonderful world” we are celebrating the art and culture of the world.”
In addition to dances and music from India, Cambodia, Thailand, China, Africa, Russia, Ireland and the United States, there will be free interactive art, craft and culture booths by several countries along with ever popular kite booth, henna, costumes, jewelry and Indian food to purchase by Masala Bay.
The event, which is co-organized by Sunanda Sahay and Seema Kapoor, is partly sponsored by Masala Bay, DCU, WCU, Middlesex bank, Cultural councils of Acton-Boxboro, Concord, Chelmsford, Sudbury, Littleton, Lexington and Mass festivals. For more information, visit: www.essenceOfIndia.org.
Here is the complete schedule of the program:
Where– Nara park, 75 Quarry Road, Acton
The program opens at 2 pm at NARA Park, Acton.
- Welcome by Seema Kapoor and Sunanda Sahay
- Opening Address by Sen. Jamie Eldridge
- Emcees: Jayshree Bala Rajamani & Jeyanthi Ghatraju
- Ganesh Vandana – Lasya School – Sapna Krishnan
- Chinese dance – ACACS
- Bharatnatyam – Spanda School – Suman Adiseshu
- Russian Dance – Russian Folk Group Samovar
- Kathak – Gurukool Enrichment – Moumita Bannerjee
- Cambodian (Khmer) Dance- Nearyroth Academy of Arts
- Dance of Russia – Russian Folk Group Samovar
- Irish Dance – Heaven Quinn Academy, Chelmsford
- Odissi Dance – Mouli Pal, Medha Pal
- Thai Traditional Dance -Thai Sunday School of Boston, Buddha Vararam Temple
- Santoor & Tabla Ensemble – Nitin Pandit & Rajesh Pai
- Tabla Ensemble – Rajesh Pai and Students
- Thai Music Ensemble – Buddha Vararam Temple School
- Polynesian Dance – Etnia Fusion & Friends
- Kathak Dance – Aditi Vyas Khare
- Flamenco/Salsa Dance – Ritmos Academy
- Kuchipudi Dance – Manasa Tekumalla from Dallas, TX
- Folk Dance of Uganda – Vivian and Group
- Mohiniattam Dance – Manasa Kalkunte and Group
- Meera Dance – Bharatkalai School – Jayshree B. Rajamani
- Ghoomer – Spanda School Of Dance – Suman Adiseshu
- American Square Dance – Jeannine Ameduri and Group
The program concludes at 7. 00 pm.