News Briefs: Woman Kills Husband; Couple Commits Suicide; 67 Minor Girls Rescued; School Booked for Detaining Minors Over Fees


Woman held for killing husband over domestic violence

New Delhi–A young woman murdered her 28-year-old husband early on Tuesday when he returned home in south Delhi in a drunken state, police said, adding that the woman also suffered stab injuries.

Police said the accused woman Chhutki, 21, was admitted to All India Institute of Medical Sciences Trauma Centre for treatment.

Rana, a painter, had returned drunk to their Aya Nagar home, to which Chhutki objected, Deputy Commissioner of Police Romil Baaniya said.

“Heated exchanges between the two led to violence, in which both stabbed each other with a kitchen knife. Prima facie, Rana attacked Chhutki with a knife. He was found lying injured and was taken to AIIMS but was declared brought dead,” Baaniya said.

The couple hailed from West Bengal and were staying in Aya Nagar for the last three months.

Couple commits suicide after a quarrel

New Delhi-A young couple married for nearly eight months was found hanging on Tuesday in their rented accommodation in west Delhi, police said.

There were identified as Neeraj, 26 and his wife Anita, 23, both hailing from Uttar Pradesh’s Azamgarh. They got married on November 17, 2017.

Police said the woman’s father Ramesh called police around 11.30 a.m. to inform that his daughter and her husband had committed suicide by hanging from a ceiling fan in their Om Vihar house in Uttam Nagar.

A police official said the couple had quarreled over some domestic issue on Monday evening and again on Tuesday morning, following which Anita called up her father. Ramesh advised the couple to resolve the matter between themselves.

“Around 11 a.m., Anita’s mother called up Anita but she did not answer. Ramesh went to check on the couple and found both hanging,” the officer said.

Teenager commits suicide in Delhi

New Delhi–A 17-year-old boy allegedly committed suicide here by hanging himself from a ceiling fan, police said on Tuesday.

According to police, Rahul allegedly ended his life in the flat of a property dealer where he worked as a cook.

Police said they were informed about the incident on Monday evening when the property dealer, Anish, found that the door of his flat in south Delhi, was locked from inside. Rahul did not answer his calls despite repeated knocks on the door.

“When Anish peeped through the window, he found Rahul hanging from the ceiling fan and informed the police. The door was forced opened and Rahul was sent to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead,” a senior police officer said.

“Rahul stayed in Saidulajab village at a rented accommodation with his family. He initially worked as a tailor and just got a job as a cook in Anish’s house in Saket D-block,” the officer said.

“Prima facie, it appears to be a case of suicide although we are investigating it with all possible angles,” he said.

Earlier on Tuesday, Rahul’s family members protested against the police. They blocked the traffic for a while and demanded police to probe his death as case of murder as they suspected “foul play”.

Private school management booked for detaining minors over fees

New Delhi–A private school’s management was booked on charge of forcibly detaining over half a dozen minor children within its premises for five hours after their parents failed to deposit tuition fees on time, police said on Tuesday.

Police said the incident occurred on Monday at the Rabiya School in Hauz Qazi area in central Delhi.

Complainant Shabeen Hasan said he dropped his two daughters at the school around 7.30 a.m. on Monday. When he returned to pick them after school hours, he found them not present in their respective classes.

“When I enquired from staff, I got to know that some minor children had been forcibly locked in the school basement during school hours without food. The children were let off only after we informed police,” he said in the FIR.

The school management, including Headmistress Farha Diba Khan, were named in the First Information Report filed under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000.

Hasan told IANS that the aggrieved parents had earlier promised to the management on clearing fee dues in a couple of days.

67 Minor Girls Rescued From an Unuathorized ashram

Jaipur–Nearly a week after 67 minor girls were rescued from an unuathorised ashram run at a hotel premises in Rajsamand in Rajashtan, the state’s child rights panel on Tuesday said they were daily given homeopathic medicines and chocolates by ashram officials.

Rajasthan State Commission for Protection of Child Rights Chairperson Manan Chaturvedi said some medicines and chocolates have been seized and sent for testing.

The girls in the 5-16 age group hail from 16 states and Nepal.

“How these girls ended up in Rajsamand is a matter of investigation. A strong illegal network must have been in operation to bring these girls here,” she added.

Authorities meanwhile denied that police beat some girls while they were being shifted to Udaipur on Monday.

Reacting to reports that police slapped a few girls when they showed reluctance to be shifted out, Rajsamand Superintendent of Police Manoj Kumar said no force was used.

“As they did not want to be shifted to a new place, they bit members of the police team and even attacked them,” Child Welfare Committee member Bhavna Paliwal told IANS on Tuesday. She also denied use of force on the girls.

CWC member Gajendra Singh said more facts in the case will emerge once the girls undergo counselling.

He said that around 50 persons have so far come forward to claim custody of the girls, but the credibility of some of them was suspect.

Informed sources said on the condition of anonymity that the ashram housing the girls had linkages to self-styled godman Virendra Dev Dixit whose ashram in Delhi was sealed a few months ago.

Chaturvedi said the priority of the authorities was to send the girls back to their native places.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here