New Delhi– A right mix of fit, cut, shade, styling and attitude sums up the core rules of power dressing, says an expert who feels that with an increasing number of women becoming an essential part of the corporate world, it’s imperative that they get the look spot on.
Resha Jain, Myntra LookGood Advisor, has shared tips:
* Colour me classy: The first step to dressing sharp is to choose the right shade and stay up to date with the colours that are trending. Gone are the days where basics like black, grey, and white used to be a thing.
Experiment with colour whenever you can. Pastels and bright hues like burgundy, navy and rust can be paired with basic colours to balance your outfit. On the other hand, colour can also be added in the form of belts, bags, shoes and other accessories.
* Stick to classics: One of the fundamental rules of power dressing is to not follow trends blindly and stick to classics. For a corporate look, invest in wardrobe staples like a well-tailored blazer, the quintessential nude/black pumps in patent finish and cigarette pants. This look flatters all body types; and a great attitude is all you need to look your best.
* Keep it neat: When it comes to jewellery, less is more. Keeping it classy and elegant is the key to a neat look. Simple jewellery like solitaries and pearls work better than chunky jewellery as they don’t overpower your outfit. A neat hairdo, simple danglers, a vibrant scarf and a great watch makes for a perfect and clean look. Accessorising your look right adds a touch of oomph and will make heads turn.
* Material: Good fabric speaks volumes about one’s taste and position. Invest in good fabrics like cashmere and silk. Not only do they feel great against your skin but are also considered ideal for power dressing as they accentuate your curves. They might be a bit of a splurge but the classy edge they add to your look is totally worth it.
* It’s the fit: A classic tip to work your power dressing magic is to make sure that you wear well-tailored clothing. Nothing looks worse than ill-fitted formalwear. Be it a high-waisted pencil skirt, a crisp white shirt or a pantsuit, it should be tailored to perfection. You don’t want it to be too tight, nor should it hang on your frame.
* Walk tall: Never underestimate the power of confidence when it comes to a corporate set up. A great way to appear more poised and confident is to wear a comfortable pair of heels. Invest in some great looking pairs in basic hues such as black, beige and white that can be paired with all outfits. They instantly jazz up your outfit and provide impeccable stature. Always dress for success and walk tall with confidence. Lastly, remember to smile.