By Sandhya Rege Nadkarni
INDIA New England News Columnist
I am excited to start this column with a nod to our favorite city and the knowledge that my Bostonian friends will agree with me that Jalapeno Poppah Aappa is a totally wicked appetizah!
This fusion dish is my attempt to create a healthy, vegetarian, protein rich, gluten free, quick and easy snack, combining two of our favorites, aape and jalapeno poppers.
The idea of eating my favorite foods, using just a couple of drops of oil, entices me. Aappa/aape/paniyaram/aebleskiver pan allows me to do that, so I use that for a number of my recipes. Aappe/paniyaram/paddu are popular in southern India and are made in this special pan with indentations. It is interesting to observe that there are Indonesian, Dutch, Danish and Japanese dishes that are made in a similar pan too.
Aape can be made using dosa batter, which is now conveniently available at many Indian stores, or can be made ahead at home of time and refrigerated. So this dish is really quick and easy to put together for a snack anytime and makes for a great party appetizer.
The yummy cheesy stuffing is a mix of pickled jalapenos, light veggie cream cheese and cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese, just combined together.
As you will see from the recipe and photos I have shared below, the Jalapeno Poppah aapah take only a few minutes to cook and are crisp on the outside, fluffy inside and ooh so cheesy in the center!
Do let me know if you like this quick and easy, healthiah, Jalapeno Poppah Aappah as much as we do!
Recipe Title: Jalapeno Poppah Aappah
Author: Sandhya Rege Nadkarni@ Indfused
- 2 cups of dosa batter- store bought, or using basic recipe of 1 part urad dal to 3 parts of rice + some fenugreek/ methi seeds
- Sea salt to taste (if your batter does not have salt already added to it)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
For the filling-
- 2 tablespoons light veggie cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated extra sharp cheddar or a combination of extra sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- 2 to 3 pickled jalapenos, diced (or to taste)
About a teaspoon of coconut or olive oil or olive oil spray
To make the Jalapeno Poppah Aapah-
- To the dosa batter, add salt, if needed. Add the diced onion and grated ginger.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the filling.
- Heat the appe pan on medium heat. Drizzle a couple of drops in each indentation or spray with oil. Add batter to each indentation until it is half full.
- Top with the cream cheese mixture. Add more batter on top, to cover the filling.
- Cover and let it cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cover, lightly brush aape with oil and turn them in the pan. Cook for another 2 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove from the pan and enjoy!
Sandhya Rege Nadkarni
Nadkarni is a food—in fact, fusion food—aficionado. She writes a blog, featuring Indian and Indian fusion recipes that are delicious, easy to follow and creative. She will be writing exactly the same for our readers. She is the creator and publisher of Indfused (http://indfused.com ) an award winning blog dedicated to Indian and innovative Indian fusion recipes. An architect by education, her other creative talents and interests include interior design, kitchen design, arts and crafts, jewelry making and fashion design.
A passionate cook and foodie, her healthy recipes also reflect her extensive interest in nutrition and Ayurveda. Her love for design and color coordination has found its way to food presentation too. She also teaches an array of cooking classes. When not blogging, she is actively involved in the community. She is a Director at the Shishu Bharati School of Indian languages and Culture where she has been volunteering for over two decades.