WALTHAM, MA—In a special Health Talk production, INE MultiMedia presents Sheetal Kelkar, who lost 50 pounds before she was crowned Mrs. India New England 2014 (under 40 category), and Health & Wellness Expo Chair Dr. Manju Sheth talks with four experts on diet, healthy eating and weight loss: Dr Sailaja Reddy, internist; Sangeeta Pradhan, registered dietician; Pratibha Shah, Ayurveda; and Sneh Jaisingh, nutritionist and lifestyle coach.
First, here are some basic facts:
• Indians make up more than 70 percent of the world’s vegetarian population.
• About 35% of Indians are strict vegetarians while another 30% are regular meat eaters.
• India has the world’s lowest meat consumption per person.
• Seventy percent of all the world’s spices come from India.
• It is estimated that 61.3 million people aged 20-79 years live with diabetes in India (2011 estimates). This number is expected to increase to 101.2 million by 2030.
• Obesity is a chronic condition defined by an excess amount of body fat.
• Obesity is best defined by using the body mass index.
• The body mass index (BMI) equals a person’s weight in kilograms (kg) divided by their height in meters (m) squared.
• An adult who has a BMI of 25-29.9 is considered overweight, and an adult who has a BMI over 30 is considered obese.
• In 2014, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these over 600 million were obese.
• Thirty-nine percent of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2014, and 13% were obese.
• Forty-two million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2013.
Obesity related diseases: Diabetes; heart disease and stroke; high blood pressure; some cancers, gallbladder disease and gallstones, osteoarthritis, gout and sleep apnea.
Here is a brief bio of our experts:
Dr. Sailaja Reddy
Dr. Sailaja Reddy is a licensed physician, American Board certified in Internal Medicine and a Diplomate in American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine, practicing in Boston, USA. Dr. Reddy is a member of Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine and passionate about helping her patients manage chronic medical conditions and help fine-tune their health by combining her expertise in internal medicine with her proficiency in integrative medicine by incorporating fundamental changes in diet, behavior and stress, in addition to standard allopathic approach to primary care. Dr. Reddy shares this path of discovery in her personal website www.drsaila.com through articles, videos, nutrient-rich recipes and many more. Dr. Reddy published a weight loss book •Whittling away your waist’ in 2014.
Sangeeta Pradhan is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator with over 15 years of experience in nutritional counseling. She is the Diabetes Coordinator at Charles River Medical Associates, a large Physician Practice group where she leads a team of Nurse Practitioners and another Dietitian achieve the American Diabetes Association’s National Standards of Care. She is also the President of the Central Mass Dietetic Association. Her mission in life is to translate the complex science of nutrition into easy to implement, practical guidelines for the consumer thus empowering them to take charge of their health.
Pratibha Shah is one of the leading practitioners in the field of Ayurveda and one of the few leading the effort of true integration. She is deeply committed to her passion for promoting and propagating Ayurveda worldwide. She is the Founder and Director of the Council for Ayurveda Research, and the Wholistic Health Alliance, and runs an informative blog on Facebook called My Ayurved.
Sneh Jaisingh holds Master of Science in Human Nutrition and is a Certified Clinical Nutritionist at Berkshire Health Systems, utrition Consultant at ALF in metro west area. Certified Holistic Health & Lifestyle coach and Co-founder of NutriAge — Nutrition for all ages.
Sheetal Kelkar was crowned Mrs. India New England 2014 (under 40 category). Through exercise and diet control, she lost 50 punds.